(BPT) – The warm weather is finally here, and that means you can shed those layers and hit the beach! It also means that it’s a great time to ditch the gym and take your workouts outside to help you shape up for this summer. Celebrity and professional athlete trainer Gunnar Peterson offers these simple tips to help you stay in shape and maximize your workouts this summer:
* Be resourceful – no gym, no problem! Enjoy the sunshine and your surroundings. Try taking your workout to the nearest park or beach where there is a bench. Work your triceps, shoulders and core with bench dips – sit on a bench and place your hands next to your hips, palms facing down. Slide your butt forward off of the bench and bend your elbows, bringing upper arms almost parallel to ground, then return to the starting position. Keep your lower back close to the bench and complete 12 reps. For an added upper body workout, do pushups with your hands on the bench with legs fully extended for 12 reps, and then flip over for an inverted push up – hands on the ground and feet extended on the bench for an additional 12 reps.
* Hydrate. Dehydration can decrease strength, reduce endurance and delay muscle response. When you sweat you lose more than just water, so make sure to drink fluids with electrolytes such as Propel Electrolyte Water during exercise. This is especially important in the summer heat.
* Travel smart. People often find their schedules packed with summer travel plans. When you’re on the road, maintaining a workout routine can be difficult. Keep your workout regimen alive! Remember that even small steps count. Book a hotel room at least a few floors up and take the stairs. Or, if you’re limited to lower levels, do calf raises in the elevator.
* Say yes to sodium. Salt is the most important electrolyte because you lose it in the highest concentration when you sweat, so drinking an electrolyte enhanced beverage during hard workouts is important. High heat indexes during the summer months increase the risk for heat illness. Sodium supports better hydration by stimulating thirst and promoting fluid retention.
* Say no to excuses. It’s easy to find excuses not to exercise in the hectic summer months. Prioritize fitness so excuses can’t get in the way. In the early morning hours, you are less likely to be bothered by phone calls and emails. Get your workout in early while enjoying the beautiful sunrise, and then you can get on with your day and feel accomplished, knowing you’ve already checked breaking a sweat off your list.
Always keep your fitness top-of-mind and fun so you’ll maintain a consistent routine. In addition, when exercising in the hot summer months, proper hydration is key to maximizing each workout and staying safe. To learn more about Propel Electrolyte Water and its next-level hydration benefits, in addition to the importance of hydration while working out, visit www.propelwater.com. For additional information and fitness motivation, follow Propel at www.facebook.com/propelwater, @Propel_Water on Twitter and propelwater on Instagram.